Sunday, September 19, 2010

nameless traveling nano - has a name: Linked Blocks #1

This nanoscape has  4400 miles on it -- from St. Paul, MN to Orange, CA (and back), and to Iowa City, IA (and back). Although it isn't quite finished, it has a name: Linked Blocks #1.

After painting links-of-many-colors, I had a vivid recollection of a piece of metal sculpture that I imagined but never began -- cutting out pieces of shiny car body  parts and linking them together into a huge wall hanging. Some impediments to that project were and continue to be:

  •  Lack of readily available car parts in splendid colors  or access to automotive paint and a safe place to use it;
  • Requirement for safety gear including heavy leather gloves, safety glasses and safe-breathing equipment;
  • Need for the metal-bending and welding equipment to shape the links combined with my aversion to high heat (candy-making excepted); and 
  • The lawyer in me also imagines that renting or buying a space for a project of that dimension would require A LOT of liability insurance.

That I can sit in my living room studio and imagine painting and cutting metal is part of the miracle of creativity, for which I am eternally grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Such a nice piece,masterpiece in the real manners.you should have to continue this project and explore it.

    ReplyDelete