Thursday, August 23, 2012

New Stone Paper: Terraskin™

During my last visit to Wet Paint, I bought a new-to-me bright-white paper called Terraskin which is made from 80% calcium carbonate and 20% high density polyethylene (a binding agent.) Neither trees nor water are used to make it. The manufacturer politely warns that it will begin to degrade if exposed to direct sunlight and moisture for six to nine months, but if kept indoors (my plan) it will be fine. It comes in three thicknesses, and I bought the thickest. A 16-point 25x35 sheet was $6.85.

Stone #1
Pencil & Watercolor
5x7"  $20.00

Unlike Yupo, which is also tree-free, but is 100% synthetic, Terraskin  is very smooth and buttery. I have never warmed up to Yupo, and find Terraskin, very soft and friendly to touch and to work with. 

It is very pencil-friendly, and takes watercolor beautifully. After finishing my painting, I hesitated to touch it because the little watercolor puddles looked shiny and wet. Nope.They were dry. 

I am looking forward to drawing and painting on this surface. 


3 comments:

  1. That's very interesting information. Thanks Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read about this in one of the catalogs I received and was thinking about ordering it when I put my next order in. Susan do you think it would work with collage and acrylics?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Bittersweet: When I bought the Terraskin at Wet Paint, they had painted out samples that included acrylics, ink and more. I think that this would be a great surface for collage, too.

    ReplyDelete